Do I need a rental license if I am renting space in my home?

Yes. All housing rental units occupied by anyone other than family as defined by the City's Zoning Code must be licensed. The City of Kent Health Department licenses three family structures, rooming houses, and apartment buildings. The Community Development Department licenses rentals that are single family, two family, room rentals within a single or two family, and individually owned condominiums that are being rented. If you are unsure if your situation applies or have any questions, please let us know.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find the answers to my frequently asked questions?
2. How do I contact a City department?
3. What positions are currently available?
4. What do the sirens mean?
5. How do I report a power outage?
6. When is my trash collection day?
7. How do I pay my utility bill?
8. How do I register to vote?
9. Where can I park downtown?
10. Where do I apply for a building permit?
11. How do I contact City Staff?
12. How do I report a concern?
13. How do I pay a parking ticket?
14. Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?
15. What home repairs do I NOT need a permit for?
16. How can I get a new recycle bin?
17. How do I sign up for recreation programs?
18. Why do we need a snow parking ban?
19. Who do I call for building inspections?
20. Do I need a rental license if I am renting space in my home?
21. What should I do if the parking meter I'm at does not register my payment?