Nearly 200 years ago, what is now the City of Kent was two villages known as Carthage
and Franklin Mills. The town fathers renamed the village "Kent" in 1864 to honor Marvin
Kent who, in 1863, was responsible for bringing a railroad through town that played a
major role in the village's development. Kent was incorporated as a village in 1867.
Kent became known as the "Tree City" when, in the late 1800s, John Davey, an expert
horticulturalist, planted hundreds of trees throughout the city. He also trained people
in the caring of the newly planted trees. Mr. Davey later founded the Davey Tree Company
which is still in existence today.
Today, Kent is the largest city in Portage County and according to the 1990 census, the population is 28,835.
The City of Kent has been entrusted with, and is committed to, providing vision, leadership, and exemplary
urban services, equally and fairly, for the purpose of preserving and enhancing a safe and satisfying
quality of life for residents, students and businesses who have chosen Kent as their home.